Beauty In A Glass Smoothie
- 1 cup organic kale (with stems removed)
- 1 medium organic gala apple (quartered and with seeds/stem removed)
- 1 cup organic fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt (I use Oikos organic)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Met-RX Natural Whey)
- Place kale and 1/2 cup of water in blender and blend until the kale is finely chopped (I use the "smoothie" setting on my blender).
- Add greek yogurt and blend until well mixed.
- Add apple, strawberries and whey and blend until smooth.
I have been blessed to have great skin most of my life, but as I get older (and after having two kids) my skin isn't quite what it used to be. In the last few years I've come across a secret weapon that allows me to have beautiful, youthful skin. Not only do I no longer have those little bumps on my forehead (or other places) but my skin is silky smooth (which is an especially hard thing to obtain with the hard water/overly chlorinated water in my town). What is my secret? Kale smoothies! Kale is by far one of my favorite super foods, with one cup containing 206% of the daily recommended value of Vitamin A, 134% of Vitamin C and 684% of Vitamin K*(all of which promote healthier skin). This kale smoothie also has a polyphenol-packed, heart-loving apple and the Vitamin C powerhouse - strawberries (one cup has 141% of the drv). But even better, it tastes good!
You will notice that many of the ingredients are organic. All three of the fruits and vegetables in the smoothie are on the EWG's list of the dirty dozen (the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables. See http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/ for more information). To reap the full benefits of the Beauty in a Glass smoothie, use as many organic ingredients as possible.