Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup of non-fat greek yogurt (or 1/2 of a 4 ounce container)
- 1/2 cup chives, chopped
- 1 cup 2% shredded cheese
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoons of garlic salt, based on preference (or 1 teaspoons of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of salt)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove cauliflower from stem.
- Steam the cauliflower just until tender (You can steam it in the microwave by placing in a microwave safe bowl, adding about 1/4 cup water and cooking for 6 or 7 minutes).
- Using a fork, break apart the cauliflower (do not mash it).
- Mix in greek yogurt, butter and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Pour into a glass pan.
- Top with remaining cheese, chives and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fat: 5.625 grams
Carbohydrates: 6.5 grams
Protein: 4.625 grams
Nutritional data is approximate
If you are worried about fat, you can use 1/2 the amount of cheese, reducing the entire dish by 12 grams of fat, and each serving by 1.5 grams of fat. if you are watching your fat, you can cut the cheese down to 1/2 cup, saving a total of 2.5 grams of fat per serving.
I love cauliflower. How can you not? It pretty much tastes like a potato but is sooo much better for you!
I'm always trying to find new and better ways to prepare cauliflower. A few nights ago (ok, maybe more like a month ago) I decided to try baked cauliflower instead of the usual "mashed" cauliflower. The absolute best part of the process was the kids saying they liked this better than mac and cheese (when they saw it in the pan they thought it was mac and cheese). This is one of my super simple recipes that can easily become a staple in your menu rotation.