French Egg Bowl
Prep time: 1 min
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 31 mins
- Whole wheat french bread loaf
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 turkey sausage patties, cooked (I love Owen's All Natural)
- 1/8 cup 2% shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice sausage patties and combine with egg, egg whites and half of the shredded cheese.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cut a 2 inch slice of the french bread.
- Hollow out the bread slice (remove 1/2 to 2/3 of the bread). Note: Make sure that you leave enough bread in the bottom of the slice to contain the egg mixture.
- Poor egg mixture into bread bowl.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Serving size: 1 bowl
Fat: 10.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Protein: 17 grams
If you'd like to reduce the fat content, you could use all egg whites and only one sausage patty.
It's Fall ya'll!!! After months of temps in the high 90s and low 100s I am finally typing a post with a sweatshirt on. Woo hoo! There is something about the cooler temps that inspires me to create. This morning, instead of my typical oatmeal, I wanted something different. My friend Tina had posted a picture of Egg Boats on FB yesterday and I thought "that's it! That's what I want." The only thing I didn't want was all the bread that came along with a typical egg boat. So I went in the kitchen, grabbed a loaf of wheat french bread and decided to make a bread bowl instead. When I tell you it was delish that is an understatement. The bread bowl gives you just enough bread to hold the dish together but not so much that you are eating just as much bread as you are egg. For me, it was the perfect balance.