Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 2 cups grated cauliflower (about 1 medium cauliflower head)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded grated parmesan (I actually used pecorino romano but it is a bit harder to find)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (omit if you don't like spicy foods)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I actually use 2 teaspoons but I love garlic)
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet or pizza stone with cooking spray.
- Grate the cauliflower into 2 cups of cauliflower "rice".
- Place cauliflower rice in a large bowl and microwave for 5-6 minutes.
- Allow the cauliflower to cool and then ring out any excess water (this is a vital step!)
- Mix in the egg, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheeses and spices.
- Pat into a 9 to 12 inch round "crust" (the bigger the round, the thinner the crust will be).
- Brush olive oil on crust and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the crust and turn the broiler on.
- *I made half the pizza with just cheese and the other 1/2 with spinach and feta.
- Top crust with tomato sauce and 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella.
- Add spinach, feta and remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted to your preference.
Serving size: 1/4 section
Fat: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 3.5 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Nutritional data is approximate.
It's day one of the Pinterest Challenge and tonight we made a cauliflower pizza crust. My recipe is a take on about 10 different recipes, but the one from Recipe Girl is probably the closest to what I used.
My son and daughter said they didn't like it because it was too spicy but I loved it! I'm going to make it again next week but omit the thyme so the kids won't find it quite so spicy.
Overall, I'd give it a solid 7. I think if I would have cooked it an extra 5 or 10 minutes it would have made a huge difference.