Chewy Granola Bars
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 2 cups oat
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup nuts
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a small pan.
- Add honey and mix until well combined.
- Place oats, nuts, vanilla and applesauce in large bowl and combine.
- Add butter/honey mixture and stir until well combined.
- Put 1/2 of the chocolate chips in (1/4 cup).[i] Note: They will melt, but that helps hold the bars together. [/i]
- Once the oat mixture has cooled, add the remaining chips.
- Press the mixture into an 8 X 8 pan sprayed with cooking spray (anything bigger will result in the bars not "sticking").
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before placing in the fridge for an additional 15 minutes.
- Invert the pan and dump the bars onto parchment paper.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
Serving size: 1 bar
Fat: 5.8 grams
Carbohydrates: 16 grams
Protein: 1.87 grams
All nutritional data is approximate
Before I say anything I have to thank my girls Tara, Tina and Kelli for being my guinea pigs on this recipe. It all started out with Tina. She wanted a chewy granola bar recipe (and had asked for it months ago). I finally told her I will give it a whirl. Well Tara and Kelli heard I was working on a recipe, they wanted it too. So, I began testing different things. I added eggs and flour. I added peanut butter, removed peanut butter, used oil, used butter. I cannot even begin to tell you how many batches I made. The last couple were ok but they weren't what I wanted. One morning I decided I was going to figure this out. So I went back to one of my very first recipes for crunchy granola bars, tweaked it and finally got the results I wanted. Who knew going back to my roots would get me where I needed to be!