French Toast Sticks
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
- 1/2 loaf whole wheat french bread
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Slice bread into 6 one inch slices.
- Slice each bread slice in half, creating two sticks per slice (for a total of 12 sticks). Set aside.
- Add egg, egg whites, milk and cinnamon to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Spray a griddle or skillet with cooking spray.
- Place butter in griddle/skillet and warm over medium-low heat.
- Once butter has melted, use a spoon to evenly coat pan.
- Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture for 2 or 3 seconds (if you leave the bread in the mixture too long, it will fall apart and/or you will have soggy french toast).
- Place dipped bread on griddle/skilled and cook over medium-low heat until both sides are lightly browned (about 2 or 3 minutes per side).
- Repeat with remaining bread.
- Add your favorite topping and enjoy!
Serving size: 3 sticks
Fat: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 41 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Each stick has 81 calories, 1.3 grams of fat, 13.5 grams of carbs and 4 grams of protein. Adding the butter to cooking spray allows you to achieve the taste of butter, without having to use vast amounts (in order to keep the pan coated).
If you prefer to do without butter, deduct 2.75 calories and .33 grams of fat from each stick. Nutritional data does not include any toppings.
Nutritional data is approximate.
This morning I woke up to a beautiful blue sky and cool temps. It's official... fall is finally here! Fall always makes me giddy. You know what else makes me giddy? A good, wholesome breakfast with my kiddos. I love weekends because it allows us to sit down together and enjoy breakfast (instead of rushing out of the door every morning). While trying to decide what to make I remembered that I had a 1/2 loaf of french bread left over from making French Onion Soup (which was delicious!). I checked the fridge and found that I had plenty of eggs and milk so the decision was made - we would be having French Toast Sticks for breakfast. Ooh la la!