Mom's Beef Stew
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds eye of round roast, cubed (or lean stew meat)
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 small potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons canola
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Warm oil in medium stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add cubed roast and brown. Do not drain.
- Add onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Add baby carrots, celery and seasonings and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and 3 cups of water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.[i]If needed, add additional water to keep a good broth consistency. [/i]
Serving size: 1 bowl
Fat: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 27 grams
Protein: 23 grams
We were able to make 10 big bowls from this recipe. You may make more or less based upon your bowl size. Total nutritional data (for entire pot) is: Calories 2825, Fat: 90 grams Carbs: 270 grams Protein: 227.5 grams
Nutritional data is approximate.
My mom was nice enough to watch the kids last night so the hubs and I could have a night together. When we got home, we were welcomed by the delicious aroma of stew. It seemed as if mom had also felt the fall "itch" to cook comfort food. She was nice enough to share her easy -to-make recipe (and one my husband told me to make sure I got).