Pumpkin Caramel Muffins with
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Wow... that title is a mouthful! I had to get across all of the yummy ingredients because they blend perfectly in this yummy muffin. This recipe is another example of going to the pantry, checking out what I have and getting to work. I had one little, lonely can of pumpkin in the pantry and it needed to be used. I also saw some caramel squares that I bought for another recipe (that I haven't gotten around to making yet). When I went to the fridge to get the butter I saw about 1/4 cup of pecans left in a bag so I knew I needed to finish them off. What followed was a truly delectable treat that is worthy of a guilty pleasure.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 8 small caramel squares (plus a few more for caramel drizzle)
- 1 tablespoon half and half, or milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, diced or chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix pecans, 1 tablespoon butter, flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the 8 caramel squares and half and half/milk in a double boiler.
- Heat until caramel squares melt, stirring as needed.
- In the meantime, combine flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining butter, eggs, pumpkin and sugar until well blended.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until moist.
- Remove caramel mixture from heat and pour immediately into batter (keep the mixer turning while pouring in the caramel to ensure proper blending).
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle top of muffins with pecan streusel.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (the caramel seems to make the muffins cook quicker so be sure to monitor them as they cook).
- Drizzle additional melted caramel (to taste) over warm muffins.
- Immediately place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Serving size: 1 muffin
Fat: 7.27 grams
Carbohydrates: 20.75 grams
Protein: 3.2 grams
A note about double boilers: I use a small skillet placed over a pot of boiling water. It works perfectly for those of us who don't own double boilers. Regarding the caramel drizzle: While the muffins were cooking I melted down a few additional squares. You could also used caramel sauce.