Pumpkin Spice Walnut Muffins
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 cup white wheat or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, sofetened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon full-flavor molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, eggs, pumpkin, sugar, molasses and water until well blended (I recommend using a hand mixer to obtain the best results).
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until moist.
- Add in chopped nuts and mix well.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Top with your favorite icing (or leave them plain - the way I like them).
Serving size: 1 muffin
Fat: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Store in an airtight container to preserve freshness.
Nutritional data does not include icing.
Nutritional data is approximate.
The cooler temps that hit Texas this weekend inspired my inner Martha Stewart to bake using fall flavors. My first venture were these yummy, healthier version of a seasonal favorite - Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes! Within an hour of baking them, the dozen I had made had whittled down to 5. Needless to say, they were a hit! Because I'm not a huge fan of sweets I decided to divide up the mixture and add nuts and subtract icing on a few. For someone who doesn't like pumpkin, I couldn't get enough of them!