Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can black beans, undrained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add quinoa and chicken broth in pan and cook according to package directions (usually bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes over low heat).
- In the meantime, place oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add black beans (undrained), cumin and chili powder.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes (until beans have softened).
- Add quinoa to bean mixture and stir until well combined.
- Place in flour or corn tortilla, top with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fat: 2.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 30 grams
Protein: 8 grams
Nutritional data is approximate.
I think getting tired of meat is going to be a good thing for me. I've really had to put serious thought into what I'm going to eat. Tonight I was craving tacos, but I didn't just want bean tacos. As usual I hit up the pantry looking for something to work with. I came across a container of chili lime chicken broth (I don't know what ever possessed me to buy it!!!!) and the gears started turning. I looked around and saw the bag of quinoa and an idea was born.
Just a note about seasonings: Like salt and pepper, when it comes to cumin and chili powder it really comes down to personal preference. Each of these spices have a very distinct taste. Although I personally prefer more of both, the amount in the ingredients is a good starting point and shouldn't overwhelm you.