Slimmed-down Shepherd's Pie
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 1 package (1.25 pounds) Lean Ground Turkey meat (93% lean/7% fat)
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon plus 3 splashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Skin and quarter potatoes. Boil in water until tender (around 15 to 20 minutes).
- In the meantime, place olive oil and one minced garlic clove in a skillet over medium heat.
- When oil warms, add onions and carrots. Sauté for 10 minutes. Depending on how crunchy you like your corn, you may add it at the same time as the carrots and onions, or you can add it with the turkey.
- Add the turkey to the onions and carrots and cook until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and flour. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook turkey mixture on low heat for around 10 minutes.7. While the turkey mixture is simmering, prepare the potatoes. Add buttermilk and remaining minced garlic clove to the potatoes and whip. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place turkey mixture in an 8 x 11 shallow glass pan and spoon potatoes evenly on top.
- Using a fork, swirl the potatoes. Be careful not to go too deep or the turkey mixture will show through the potatoes.
- Cut butter into 8 small squares and distribute evenly on top of the potatoes.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lightly stir the potatoes.
- Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 serving
Fat: 5.7 grams
Carbohydrates: 15.6 grams
Sugar: 2.8 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Nutritional data is approximate.
If you are in the mood for comfort food, this slimmed-down shepherd's pie is sure to impress. All of the taste of original with half the calories and fat.