And done (almost)

Crown side by side

I would love to tell you that I am about to upload a finished project but I can't because, well, I'm not finished. I'm close. Very, very close. And if not for the fact that Lowe's was out of the trim I am using, I would be finished. ;-( I am, though, far enough along that I really want to show all of you my progress. I know it's been a bit since I posted, so you may not remember that I decided to turn the board and batten along my staircase into picture frame moulding. That part is DONE!

Board and batten along stairs before
Board and batten along stairs before
Now picture frame moulding
Now picture frame moulding

As usually happens around here, when I do something like this I decide the area around it needs to look as good (in this case, the trim around the doors). Here's a recap of how the door/windows in the entry have progressed:

The Entry Before
The Entry Before
The entry during
The entry during

I tried to make sure the trim matched the board and batten even if the results were less than stellar, but once I did the picture frame moulding along the stairs, I knew I would have to change the trim around the door/window.

When it came down to the pattern I wanted, I decided to mimic the trim throughout the rest of the house.

Trim in the rest of the house
Trim in the rest of the house

I wasn't exactly sure what to do since those eyebrow arches are such a pain. I needed something flexible. What I ended up was Ever True moulding from Lowe's. It was extremely flexible, so it allowed me to manipulate the curves.

EverTrue trim from Lowe's
EverTrue trim from Lowe's

I decided that to mimic the inside pattern I would glue two pieces of the trim together. I just used Liquid Nails for panels, wrapped tape around them every few inches and then let them dry overnight.

Glued pieces
Glued pieces

The next day I glued them to the existing trim and taped in place.

Glued trim
Glued trim

I'm sure you've noticed the wooden blocks. Because these are eyebrow arches, they just didn't look good completely connected, so I decided to create crown boxes at the joints. This let me know where to stop the trim.

As for adding the trim to the arches, I couldn't really get a pic of that without falling to my death. What I did was simple, I started on the right side and nailed (with a nail gun) the trim every couple of inches while creating an arch. It was very simple to do.

After all was said and done, I completed the crown using scrap wood in the garage, spackled the joining line in the glued pieces, sanded, caulked and painted. Here is where I ended:

Side by side of the trim before (left) and after (right)
Side by side of the trim before (left) and after (right)
Crown side by side
Crown side by side
Crown
Crown
The arches
The arches

I know these aren't the best pics. When I finish up the last part (the door) I will work harder to get some better pics. But for now, that's it for me. There are a few more things I want to work in but with my daughter's birthday party this weekend, I'm not sure how much I will be able to get done. Hopefully I will have something to show you soon. Stay tuned!

Check us out on Remodelaholic's link party!



YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: